Monday, March 30, 2020

Good intentions

When I began this gap year I had high hopes of maintaining a daily blog of progressive learning.  I attended two national education conferences and have read many books related to learning.  I have also expanded my Twitter network and read many, many posts related to progressive education.  I have been absorbing and thinking and grappling and researching.  But I have not created the amount of content I had thought I would.  I hesitate to interject in conversations or repeat ideas of others.  I have retweeted a few things, but on whole I am not part of the conversation. 

I wonder why?

I have strong opinions about schools and learning, but they are not popular opinions.  My idea of "school" is more like a community center.  Democratic schools like Sudbury and Summerhill seem idyllic to me.  If I had children of my own, I would be "unschooling" them.  Children need other people of all ages to answer their questions and provide resources for their own exploration.  They don't need a prescribed curriculum, constant assessment, and rankings that traditional schools focus on.

I believe as a society we could create more citizens who are happy, self-confident, self-aware, empathetic, wise, emotionally intelligent, and well-adjusted than our current PreK-12 system produces. 

But what do I do with that?  There are plenty of other advocates online.  Plenty of other people have written books about it.  Who am I?

I do have 30 years of experience in schools as a teacher and administrator.  I have worked in six different school. Public and independent. Overseas and in the U.S.. Large and small. Grades K-12.  I have implemented all sorts of "progressive" practices in the classroom.  Perhaps I can start by summarizing my own experience to help explain how I got here. The next step might be to describe the kind of school I would like to work at.

No comments:

Post a Comment